Heylp! Heylp!

Thomas Hungenberg th@demonium.de
Sat Sep 25 07:04:19 1999

Hallo!

On Wed, 22 Sep 1999 07:22:22 -0400 (EDT) Nick Busigin wrote:

>> problem - the network card doesn't seem to work. Something is
>> transmitted as the activity light on the hub flashes, but sniffers on
>> that segment show nothing (valid) being transmitted.  Stranger yet, it
>> sometimes works - maybe once in 25 times - the rest of the time it fails
>> during boot at "bring up eth0".
>>
>> Can anyone suggest anything?

> This may not be the most informed answer, but here it is...  I have found
> that some kernel versions and epic driver versions don't play well
> together.  What versions of kernel and epic driver are you running?

> I'm running epic100.c:v0.99B 4/7/98 and kernel 2.0.35 (Yes I know that's
> old, but it's been working very reliably for me.)

I had similar problems about 2 weeks ago.

A card worked fine in a machine with epic.c v0.99B and 2.0.34 kernel
but another didn't work with a standard Debian 2.1 installation with
kernel 2.0.36 and epic.c v1.03 (as module!).

After building a new 2.0.36 kernel with a version of epic.c v1.07 I
found somewhere on the net (AFAIR through the archive of linux-epic,
not on the official driver page!) the card works fine now!

I haven't had the time yet to check whether the reason for this is the
new version of the driver or simply the fact that it was _not_ built
as module.

      - Thomas

--
Thomas Hungenberg -- Student of Applied Computer Science
Private homepage: http://home.pages.de/~th/ -- ICQ-UIN: #3294439