SMC 9432TX-M Wake On Lan card

William R Melgaard piobair@juno.com
Thu Sep 23 19:46:24 1999

From: William R Melgaard <Piobair@juno.com>
To: w.k.gerdes@larc.nasa.gov
Subject: Wake On Lan

I recently downloaded the Epic100 device driver for my 10/100-TX-M LAN
card running under Linux. The device driver (C source, uncompiled) does
not appear to have any dealings with power management (-M),  unless I
just missed the referent.

When a WOL card is powered up, does it automatically ping the motherboard
to wake up, whether or not the motherboard is already hot? Or do I need
to do some diagnostics to determine wake states?

If the motherboard is cool (sleeping), do I need to wait after pinging
the WOL port for the motherboard to wake up?