EPIC100 performance problems follow-up

Paul S. Graham grahamp@ee.byu.edu
Mon Apr 19 14:54:55 1999

As a follow-up to the problems I have been having with the SMC
EtherPower II cards under Linux, I noticed that "ifconfig" and
"/proc/net/dev" report frame errors on received packets for the 10BT
Full-Duplex machines; all of the machines using full-duplex are
reporting these same errors.  This must be related to the poor data
receive rates I've been having with these cards using full-duplex on
full-duplex ports.  Since I don't have these data rate problems using
Win95/NT in full-duplex mode, I am guessing there in must be some
Linux kernel/driver problem. Further, I don't see these errors when
using half-duplex mode on half-duplex ports with the EtherPower II
cards.

Any ideas on how to fix this problem?  What causes frame errors?

Thanks,

Paul