[eepro100] Dell PowerEdge 1550 (Intel Pro/100+ Dual Port)

Donald Becker becker at scyld.com
Fri May 14 12:15:56 PDT 2004

On Thu, 13 May 2004, Schulenberg Joshua wrote:

> --- John Madden <jmadden at ivytech.edu> wrote:
> > > I believe there may be a problem with the
> > > linux-eepro100 driver and the NIC that Dell ships
> > with
> > > many servers. It is a Dual Port Pro/100 (82558 I
> > > think).

> I have 2 1550s that are doing the same thing: No link
> light. They both worked under Windows 2000 with no
> problem.

The only obvious problem that might occur is if the EEPROM is not
correctly programmed with the transceiver.  This frequently occurs with
non-Intel boards.  The bogus GUID (Globally Unique ID) also violates the
PXE specs when doing network boot.

Donald Becker				becker at scyld.com
Scyld Software	 			Scyld Beowulf cluster systems
914 Bay Ridge Road, Suite 220		www.scyld.com
Annapolis MD 21403			410-990-9993