[eepro100] sleep mode persistence

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Mon Sep 30 17:14:02 2002

On Mon, 30 Sep 2002, Frank Lenaerts wrote:

> > > eepro100: wait_for_cmd_done timeout!
> >
> > The chip isn't repsonding.
>
> Would it be responding with the newer driver? Actually, the chip is
> responding after such a reboot, so I wonder what|if something has
> changed the driver initialisation or so (between v1.09 and v1.24 of
> eepro100.c).

The driver in the kernel split from my release.  Part of the reason for
the split was that I insisted on a correctly designed API that
  - didn't need to change with every kernel release,
  - was capable of providing backwards and forward compatibility
  - supported hot-swap (CardBus and PCI) and power management
  - handled card activation consistently

Instead the device interface was repeated changed to incrementally add
the features, without a overall design.  The result is that the drivers
shipped with the later 2.4 kernel are not usable even with earlier 2.4
kernel versions, and would need major changes to use with earlier kernels.

In this case I suspect a problem a problem with card activation that may
be solved by using my driver set and driver interface.

> # dmesg
> eepro100.c:v1.09j-t 9/29/99 Donald Becker http://www.scyld.com/network/eepro100.html
> eepro100.c: $Revision: 1.36 $ 2000/11/17 Modified by Andrey V. Savochkin <saw@saw.sw.com.sg> and others

And what happened to the people that modified the driver?  They aren't
around providing fixes and updates...