[eepro100] Apologies for the recent scam letters

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Fri Oct 4 14:29:01 2002

On Fri, 4 Oct 2002, David T-G wrote:

> Rather than a moderated list, can you allow only members to post,
> and perhaps moderate only the subscription requests?

That works on some of the lists such as the Beowulf list.  But the
driver list discussions are almost always started from some new person
reporting a bug.

>  Have you also
> considered using SpamAssassin, which does an excellent job of catching
> this and much other spam?

But it doesn't hook into the Mailman list management system.  I have a
wishlist for Mailman, and this is at the top.  Second is unified
moderation where I can mark all thirty copies, sent to the thirty
lists, as rejected on one web page.  Third is editing the settings for
all lists at one -- right now I have to edit the filter rules one at a
time.

One day last week I deleted 114 spam and virus messages.  That gets
really annoying.