[eepro100] eepro100 and e1000

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Wed Jun 5 12:39:01 2002

On Wed, 5 Jun 2002, Christoph Plattner wrote:
> Nate Amsden wrote:
> > Claus Rosenberger wrote:
> > >
> > > i want to use the eepro100 and the e1000 in the same machine. until now i
> > > compiled modules and had some alias eth0 and eth1 for this cards. but now
> > > i want to build the drivers staticly to the kernel. how i can force to
> > > load the eepro100 as device eth0 and the e1000 as device eth1 ?
> > > the kernel load the devices all the time in wrong order.

In this case the detection order is set by the order that the driver
probes are called.
Since the e1000 driver is only distributed as a module, you must have
added the e1000 probe into the code yourself.  Just change the order.

> > change the order of the PCI cards, the kernel should assign them in the order
> > that they are detected, so if they are PCI cards, flip em around, and
> > it should get reversed. if one is onboard ..well I am not sure what
> > you can do.

That's only true for multiple cards supported by a single driver.  The
driver probe detects all supported cards.

> Try to patch the driver only searching for "one" VENDOR_ID/CHIP_ID
> on the PCI bus.

That won't do it.  And changing the driver to "skip" unrecognized
network cards isn't an option -- how can a one driver know that some
other network driver will be supporting that device and filling in the
naming "hole"?