[eepro100] Flashing Onboard 82562EM

Trevor Johnston trevj@redbrick.dcu.ie
Sun Jun 2 13:48:00 2002

Hello all,

I have what will hopefully be an easily answered question.

I have a Gigabyte FA1UB with an Intel 810E2 motherboard with an eepro100
compatible (82562 to be exact) onboard NIC. We are considering using 30 of
these machines as thin client in a classroom.

Opting to Boot from LAN (in the BIOS) produces no effect; following
instructions from the distribution of etherboot I tried to use PBOOT.EXE
to place an etherboot ROM onto the card's flash memory.
But PBOOT won't recognise the onboard card!

So, I wish to use Donald Becker's eepro100-diag program to flash it
instead. I compiled it with both libmii and libflash. It recognises the
card and -e and -ee options work, but neither -B nor -S work. However,
mailing list messages seem to indicate that eepro100-diag can flash the
ROM. But I would rather not without a backup of the current contents.

To finish, does the -e option really read the flash? Could eepro100-diag
be easily hacked to dump its current contents to a file, rather than using
the -S option (which doesn't work)? Will eepro100-diag perform a similar
function to PBOOT.EXE?

Any help is much appreciated.

Trevor Johnston