[eepro100] Intel 82562ET EEPRO/100 freezing problems

Christopher Stutts stutts@innocon.com
Tue Jan 22 09:02:01 2002

Danilo Godec wrote:

> You can find the eepro100-diag utility on the
> ftp://ftp.scyld.com/pub/diag/ along with some other utilites. When you
> compile and run this utility, it tells you if your chip has the 'Standby
> enable' bit on and also suggests the appropriate command line to disable
> it.
>
> Right now, I'm going to plug one of my on-board LAN ports to the 10Mbps
> hub to see if this helps.

I've tried three PCs so far with the onboard LAN as part of the
chipset.  All three have the standby bit set in their EEPROM.  Clearing
the bit appears to have had an effect on the first PC.  I cannot even
duplicate the problem on the other two, even though all 3 are running
the same test: ftp'ing lots of stuff from a particular location through
a 10-only hub.  The first & 2nd PCs seem to have completely identical
hardware, both LAN devices claim to be rev. 3 in PCI config reg 8.  The
3rd is a rev. 1.