[eepro100] Intel 82562ET EEPRO/100 freezing problems

Lucian Daniel Kafka luci@office.conexim.com.au
Mon Jan 21 02:16:01 2002

Hi folks!

I'm running RH7.2/2.4.16 on a P4/Intel 845WNL motherboard which has a
built-in Intel 82562ET EEPRO/100 NIC.

The /proc/pci reports the device as an Intel 82820 (ICH2) Chipset ethernet
controller, and the eepro100 driver reports at boot time "Primary interface
chip i82555". Obviously - all those chip numbers are different...

One problem is that I'm getting an eepro100: wait_for_cmd_done timeout!
error message, after which the ethernet interface becomes dead. The second
problem is that the server completely freezes (screen blank, keyboard (even
CAPS key) dead) - I can only reset/or switch it off. I'm not sure if this
second problem is related to the first one (they don't necessarily happen
at the same time).

Can anyone give me a hand with this issue please?

As a side note - I had another server with an external eepro100 card before
with similar locking problem, and I seemed to have solved it by unplugging
the external "wake on lan" cable between the NIC card and the motherboard.
I'm only mentioning this if it is relevant for the 2 problems above (maybe
the card sets the server in some power-saving freezing mode?)

Cheers,

Luci