[eepro100] Newbie: eth1: card reports no resources

Tue Feb 5 17:41:01 2002

Donald Becker wrote:

> > Feb  3 04:02:12 devastator kernel: eth1: card reports no resources.
> > Feb  3 04:08:48 devastator last message repeated 75 times
>
> You are likely running out of memory.

i'd like to jump in here :)

for the first time ever, i had the same error reported on a 3C905B NIC.
I had it happen quite often on EEPRO cards in the past. Here's the kicker
though. The motherboard is the same! the exact same board, i took it
out of my desktop a long time ago and put it into server duty.
It is an Asus CUV4X. Until last week when it happened(thursday), the system
had been running with the same NIC/motherboard since june without any errors.

In my case i do not believe it is memory, i loaded that machine with
1.5GB of PC133 RAM, and for what it does less then 200MB of it are
in use, it has another 1.1GB of swap.

maybe its a PCI chipset issue? It doesn't happen enough anymore that
its a concern, though the fact that it happened on a 3COM card does
kinda concern me now, i have another system(my main desktop at work)
uses the same board same card, and have never had that error, it does
about 20GB of transfers every day over NFS(which is 10x more traffic
then 95% of my other servers do in a day)

> Yup -- promiscuous mode is consistent with running short of packet buffers.

the systems im running are not sniffers, and do not have promisc mode
enabled ..

I'm not seeking a reply, just hoping this info may help ..I have dozens
of other systems running eepro, and only 1 other that i can remember
has reported this error, a Supermicro, Serverworks motherboard with
dual onboard eepro chips. I think it only had the error once in
the past year, i have 3 other identical systems that have never had
the error. All of my systems are EXTREMELY low network utilization,
I'm talking about average of 13.4kB/s inbound and 5.6kB/s outbound
average utilization over the past 10 months(according to MRTG/snmp),
for the one supermicro system that errored out earlier in the year.
The 3COM system averages 1.3kB/s inbound, and 131Bytes/s(yes that
is bytes not Kbytes) outbound since i started keeping track about 3
weeks ago.

nate

--
Nate Amsden