[eepro100] 82559ER MII

Alexander Gdalevich gdalevich@hotmail.com
Sun, 16 Sep 2001 14:37:14 -0400

Greetings to the board!

I am working on an embedded system porject using i82559ER ethernet
controller.  We've ran into a few strange problems and so I am posting to
this list trying to get some insight.

First problem is that for some reason I can't get the controller to operate
in the loopback mode (our chip comes with the built-in i82555 Rev4 MII).  If
I just set bit 14 of the MDI control register link status is up (bit 2 in
MII Status register is high and I do read it twice) but frames sent in this
mode never make it out on the wire, nor do they get looped back.  If I set
loopback bit (bit 14 of MDI control) and try to restart autonegotiation the
link stops operating (it is down until I disable loopback).

Does anyone know how to enable loopback?

Thanks.

Best wishes,

                           Alex.