[eepro100] About eepro "out of resources" bug

Josh Stern jstern@citilink.com
Tue, 4 Sep 2001 11:47:59 -0500 (CDT)

I found the out of resource msg. in the logs after
the card stops functioning altogether.
Can't ping anything until I reset it.

-= Josh

Hi,
  The driver reporting "card out of receive resources"
is not a bug, rather it is a design issue. Let me explain,
correct me if I am wrong:

Both CPU and the card work on the same receive
resource at the same time, called RFD(receive descriptor list). The card
keeps consuming the resources, and the cpu keeps replenishing
them. The cpu tells the card "this" is the last RFD you can
consume, by setting a bit called EL(end of list) bit on the
last RFD. Consider the scenario, the cpu is too busy in
a heavily loaded system, and does not have much time to
pay attention to card's frame received interrupt and can't
replenish a new buffer and so can not move the EL bit
from the last entry. The card consumes the RFDs at a rate
faster than the cpu supplies them, as a result the card hits
the RFD with EL bit and the driver reports the card is in
"out of receive resource".  Correct me if I am wrong, as
I don't know how linux driver works well.

I think you can ignore the messages. I have a eepr100.c driver (version
v1.10a 4/15/00) that does not have any out of resource message.

Kallol