[eepro100] #define USE_IO 1

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Mon, 15 Oct 2001 18:51:31 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 15 Oct 2001 Tushar_Oza@Dell.com wrote:

>   The eepro100.c driver has a change from version 1.xx
> to version 1.36 (which I am looking at). There was a line

The latest public version is v1.17c of Aug. 14, 2001.

> Because of this, the ioctl SIOCGIFMAP (which reads from
> the dev structure dev->ioaddr) returns the
> "ioremap"ped value of the phys addr (?)
> (addr as seen in pci_config_space)

The dev->ioaddr value isn't intended as a user-useful value for non-ISA
cards.

> a. What does that line really mean?
>    I mean why would one want to do something like define to 1
>    and then use
>    #ifdef USE_IO .... #else.... #endif
>    Does it serve any purpose?

The driver I distribute uses this to allow overriding the default memory
mapped registers to use I/O mapped registers.  My drivers do not set the
value to in the source code.

> c. Are there change logs available for this or
>    any open source files, which would tell me
>    why A particular change is made to A file??

I have internal CVS logs, and I summarize the log entries when I do a
release.  The detailed log entries are often cryptic and uninteresting
-- notes about what test drivers I've released to what people.