[eepro100] eepro100 detected multiple times

Mike Kistler mkistler@us.ibm.com
Fri, 30 Mar 2001 09:30:45 -0600

Hello,

I too am having problems with the 1.13 eepro100 driver detecting
multiple devices.  I am using RedHat 7.0 with updates up to around
the end of February, and only the kgdb patch installed.  My machine
is a uniprocessor (400 MHz PII) with an eepro100 built onto the planar.

I tried to debug this, but quickly found that this goes beyond my
limited understanding of how PCI devices are discovered and initialized.
However, in comparing the workings of the new and old driver, I did
find a clue to why this might be happening.  The old eepro100 driver
updated a field in the struct pci_id_info structure for the card called
pci_index.  This field indicates how may of these cards have already
been discovered and initialized.  The new driver does not modify this
field, and thus rediscovers and reinitializes the same device over and
over.  The logic is *very* different between the old and new drivers,
so I can't figure out where pci_index should be updated (or even if
it should be updated) in the new design, but hopefully this info will
help someone else in finally fixing this problem.

Regards,
Mike Kistler
mkistler@us.ibm.com