[eepro100] Yet another receive hang-up.

Steve Egbert egbert@efficient.com
Tue, 20 Mar 2001 15:59:55 -0600

I've been using Ether Pro 100s on some sixty odd PC platforms of various
motherboards in my company.  I've noticed that despite NIC swapouts, the
exact same Hangup occurs on certain motherboards.

I've staggered my eepro100.o drivers' version on those affected machines to
no avail.

The only known workaround is a power reset as opposed to reboot.  I seem to
recall awhile back during Linux 2.3.11 that "reboot" command has been
changed to only do soft reboot (anyone confirm this?).  Perhaps, I should
modify reboot to do hard and see how this goes.

The problem seems to have gone away for motherboards made after 1997
(loosely tabulating my memory).  Seems to be a hard (or soft) reset line
issue (inadequate debounce)?  I'm beginning to think that the Intel
controller requires a minimum hard reset for NIC reusability.

Am I on the right track?

Steve.