[eepro100] eepro100 driver frequently dying in Linux 2.4.4

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Mon, 23 Jul 2001 17:14:20 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 23 Jul 2001, Kallol Biswas wrote:

>    "Thanks" me too:)

Yup.

> I am having hard time to workaround other two problems with 82559
> card, I hope intel will come up with solutions again.

Does Intel admit the problems?

> Cards eats outgoing packets and does not generate interrupt
> for incoming packets:
> packet. However with kernel debugger I have seen that the card posts
> transmit complete status and interrupt. No error counter is update.
> That means the card really devours the frames. This problem also happens
> only with high workload.
> 2)
> On a highly stressed machine repeated call to selftest may cause it
> to fail.
> ... This also happens with high network
> load.

The '559 seems to have a whole set of problems related to high PCI or
network loads.  Once they occur, they quick recur.  My interpretation is
that the chip seems to corrupt its firmware or state machines.

Is there any Intel report on the long-standing problem of the command
unit "skipping" -- not marking commands as having completed?