[eepro100] Re: Semi-OT: protocol type 8808

Henrik Christian Grove grove@sslug.dk
05 Jul 2001 11:23:55 +0200

On Mon, 28 May 2001 Derek Glidden dglidden@illusionary.com wrote:

> This isn't entirely eepro100-driver related, but is related to my
> eepro100 cards which are only running under Linux...
>
> I have an SMC "EZSwitch 1024" 24-port 10/100 switch for my home
> network.  EEpro100 cards cause the "Activity" lamp on both the cards and
> the switch to come on and stay pretty much lit up.  None of my other
> NICs, 10 or 100, cause this behaviour.  (3c509, NE2000 clone, Sun Ultra
> 5 hme, 3c590, also chained to a little 5-port 10/100 switch
> downstairs.)

I have a similar problem except that the switch in my case is a Intel
Express 460T.

> *might* be relevant.  Something about APM on the eepro100's causing some
> sort of interference with the speed auto-sensing on the switch... ???

I've found that the traffic stops, when I turn "flow control" off, on
the port of the switch the eepro100 is connected to.

One would expect that an Intel NIC and an Intel switch would be able to
understand each other?

> Does anyone have more information about this issue?  Something I can
> nail down in the linux driver or in the card setup to make 'em stop
> doing this?

I'd very much like a better solution than turning flow control off.

> eth0: Intel Corporation 82557 [Ethernet Pro 100],[mac address], IRQ 11.
>   Board assembly 721383-008, Physical connectors present: RJ45
>   Primary interface chip i82555 PHY #1.

The only difference is that my cards reports "Board assembly 721383-016"
(and that I use IRQ 9, but I guess that shouldn't matter).

Does this help anyone?

.Henrik

PS: I use a 2.4.4-kernel.

--