[eepro100] problem resuming

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Tue, 30 Jan 2001 09:14:20 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 30 Jan 2001, Kresten Krab Thorup wrote:

> I have a problem with the eepro100.c, the card does not get back to life
> after returning from suspended mode.  I've tried installing the driver
> from skyld (eepro100.c:v1.13 1/9/2001 Donald Becker <becker@scyld.com>)
> with no luck.
>
> I'm running debian 2.2.18pre21 on an Dell Inspiron 8000.  The card is a
> MiniPCI OEM card from a company called Actiontec.
>
> So, everything works fine until I suspend the laptop computer.  When I
> do this, and keep the cable plugged into the RJ45 jack, the light on the
> card stays ON, until I hit the powerkey to resume the machine.  At this
> point, the light goes out and never returns.  Trying to reestablish the
> eth0 device fails.

The driver will resume properly from suspend on the Sony Z505.  The Dell
reportedly has a problem with the PCI bridge configuration not being
restored.  There has a been a report that restoring the PCI bridge
configuration space registers allows the eepro100 chip to be accessed
and the driver to recover.

I'm going to LinuxWorld Expo this week -- perhaps I can find someone
with the 8000 to track down the bridge problem.

> Another observation: it seems that I cannot close down this device
> either.  If I do "ifdown" on this device, then the lamp stays on for the
> device, even though it is disconnected from the operating system, of
> cause.

After suspend, or any time?

The important piece of code is at line 1510.
The driver puts the card in ACPI-D2 state when closed.
Try changing this to ACPI-D3 to see if it matches your preference.

When the driver module is loaded, it remembers the starting power state.
The driver restores the original power mode when the module is loaded.

> Also, Windows device manager tells me that this is a i82559.

The chips have the same ID.  The driver works with the whole series,
including the bug fixes specific to the i82559.

> The BIOS
> has a feature to awaken the machine at a certain magic packet arriving
> on the net.  I've disabled this feature, but it changes nothing.

See
   http://www.scyld.com/expert/wake-on-lan.html
for a Linux wake-up program.