[eepro100] collisions

Pooya Woodcock root@pooya.dhs.org
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 14:51:22 -0500 (EST)

Yes. Thank you for the clarification; I have been happy with the
performance of the nic, but have been confused regarding the proper
foundations of the collisions.

The ethernet card is connected to a cable modem (the computer itself is a
makeshift linux router), and as such is "forced" to deal with a measly
10Mbit/sec half-duplex connection. You may not care about this, but
whenever I download something I get around 510KBytes/sec (byte not bit).
Where is this in relation to T1 speed, and also how is this possible on a
10baseT-HD forced connection with lots of collisions? I thought that the
"real" speed of ethernet was only about 3Mbits/sec. Am I really getting
510Kbytes * (8 bits/1 byte) = 4080 KBits/sec?

				Regards,
				Pooya