[eepro100] eepro on hp server disconnection

Davide Giunchi gdavide@mclink.it
Sat, 20 Jan 2001 14:04:37 +0100

Hi all.
I'm using some intel i82557 pci nic on some hp server: hpE75 PIII500 256 mb ram and
9gb scsi hd, i've installed a RedHat 6.2 and recompiled the kernel 2.2.17 with
the eepro100 support direct in the kernel.
When i was using it on my work all seems to works ok (but i haven't done any test),
but after some weeks/month that i bring the servers to the client i get some telnet
disconnection ... even if there's only 2-3 telnet connection the nic lose some packets
and disconnect some client.
The first time i get this problem i sobstitue the nic with a 3com and all works good, but
now there's 3-4 server with this nic and i can't change it to all (and i'm sure that there's
a problem, not that the i82557 is not good), now i begin to get these error in some of this
server ....  but not constantly.. some times..

The first time i get this problem i've do some test: from two win client i run a ping

ping -l 2000 -f ip_of_the_server   (i'm not sure of the options, but the important
                                     is that the ping run constantly)

and i noticed that some times the ping goest to "reqest timed out" (the ping from a client
to another client works good, i'm sure that is not a hub or physical net problem).

Now i've downloaded the netdriver package and installed to the server, recompiled the
kernel with the eepro100 module support and loaded the new module.. tomorrow i will
noticed if works good but i'm not sure ... (i've downloaded the test program but i haven't
use this yet).
I can't understand why this happen could anyone explain or tell me what to do?

Regards.

P.S: my boss doesn't understand of linux and he say that is a "linux bug" i always say
no to this exclamation and i would like to say that isn't so.

--
Davide Giunchi. Duke_Nuke on ircnet
Membro del FoLUG (Forlí Linux User Group) - http://folug.cjb.net