[eepro100] Re: Addressing "eth0: card reports no resources."

Andrey Savochkin saw@saw.sw.com.sg
Thu, 18 Jan 2001 12:13:43 +0800

On Wed, Jan 17, 2001 at 07:57:41PM -0800, Alvin Oga wrote:
> in the mean time....
>
> is it acceptable to ocntinue to use modules for the eepro100 driver
> vs compiled into the kernel ??? ( seems to solve the immediate problem )

I don't understand you well, but yes, there are no serious differences in
work with module or compiled-in driver.
I personally prefer module, because it makes much more easy to try driver
changes.

> -- also been hearng rumors that at high systained traffic networks...
>    that the eepro100 driver w/ intel D815EEAAL motherboards
>    locks up the system hard.... ( only power off to get it going again )

There has been a report that computer hangs in such cases with any driver and
different OSes...

> -- had one of them bring that box in....did exactly the same download
>    in his example hanging....and worked finee on a different network...
>
> -- sometimes using new drivers included in new kernels fixes the driver
>    problems in prior kernels....but sometimes the older drivers work
>    better tooo.... ( good for job security i guess )

"card reports no resources" immediately after the driver load showed
sporadically in any driver version until it is completely fixed.
Different versions, different frequencies of unsuccessful loads...

Best regards
		Andrey