[eepro100] Re: eth0: can't fill rx buffer (force 1)!

Andrey Savochkin saw@saw.sw.com.sg
Thu, 18 Jan 2001 10:30:44 +0800

Hello,

On Wed, Jan 17, 2001 at 03:55:52PM +0100, Ola Samuelson wrote:
> Got rx buffer error and system freeze.
[snip]

> Searched archives about this problem which others have noticed and
> found:
> a) use Intel driver 1.3.20
> or
> b) Hint on changing /proc/sys/freepages
>
> Problem:
> a) Intel driver wont compile, conflicting files with files already
> installed with kernel.
>     Is there a known reason? Doesn't support 2.2.18? Workaround?
> b) How should one change freepages and what could I expect from these
> changes?
>     What numbers are reasonable? Will the driver be stable with such
> changes?

If you see "can't fill rx buffer" messages, the kernel definitely experience
shortage of memory.
You may change by echo x y z >/proc/sys/freepages
See Documentation/sysctl/vm.txt from the kernel source for the description.
As for reasonable numbers, try to increase the current numbers twice and
check if "can't fill rx buffer" messages disapper.

Regards
					Andrey V.
					Savochkin