[eepro100] Lockup with Intel PRO/100+ Dual Port Server Adapter

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Fri, 12 Jan 2001 08:50:23 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 12 Jan 2001, Thomas Lorenzen wrote:

>    I have recently purchased an Intel PRO/100+ Dual Port
> Server Adapter, which chips states to be of type 82558.
>
>    At first the two ports on the nic were detected with
> different irq's, but after some time I got the machine to
> actually detect the two ports on the nic with the same irq.

Many older machines have a BIOS bug that incorrectly assigns different
IRQs to devices behind a bus bridge.  This problem commonly affected 4
port tulip cards, and the tulip driver has an ugly hack to deal with the
problem.

What did you do to fix the problem on your machine?

>    However, I seem to be having problems bringing up the
> interfaces, as doing so tends to hard lock the machine.
> Sometimes it hard locks already at 'ifconfig eth0', other
> times it hard locks at 'ifconfig eth1', and I have also
> experienced a hard lock after some ping activity to the
> ports. These lock ups occur regardless of the driver being
> build into the kernel or loaded as a module. Furthermore
> both the 2.2.16 shipped driver and the newest scyld driver
> as well as the e100 driver from intel shows these symptoms.

What driver version are you using?
eepro100.c v1.13 of 1/9/2001 has work-around for a hang that occurs with
some firmware version the first time the interface is started after a
warm boot.

The work-around is an ugly hack that should never be required, a
udelay(10) after a register write during initialization, but it seems to
reliably do the trick.