[eepro100] problem with Debian woody freeze (possibly eepro 100 problem)

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Sun Dec 23 09:19:01 2001

On Sat, 22 Dec 2001, Faheem Mitha wrote:

> I recently installed Debian Woody on a IBM Netvista 6792. The network card
> is the Intel 100 Pro VE. The standard drive for this appears to be the
> eepro100. I'm using the standard kernel shipped with Debian Potato/Woody,
> 2.2.19pre17. The card was configured automatically for me by Debian using
> eepro100 and dchp. Don't know the details, but can investigate.
>
> when I try to run apt (apt-get whatever) which downloads files off the
> net, it works fine for a bit, but then comes to a grinding halt, and
> completely freezes the machine. After this not even the power button
> responds. The only way to restart the computer is to pull the power plug.

This detail pretty clearly points to a hardware problem.  A driver
shouldn't be able to hang the machine in such a way that the power
switch doesn't work.

Have you tried any other kernel/driver versions?  Specifically, have you
tried a released kernel rather than a "pre" kernel?