[eepro100] eepro100: wait_for_cmd timeout

Andrew Reid reidac@bellatlantic.net
Fri Dec 7 23:12:01 2001

Luminescent wrote:

> Hello. I'm trying to use the eepro100 driver on my laptop (running
> debian unstable, kernel 2.4.14), in a 10Mbps 1/2 duplex network... The
> card works, but during a fast download, or just randomly, i get the
> imfamous "eepro100: wait_for_cmd timeout!" error, and I can't continue
> using the network until I run /etc/init.d/networking restart...

  Looking back over the list, I see that I never did post my
solution to this problem -- I switched to the Intel e100 driver,
and it worked fine.  My system is a Sony Vaio R505TS laptop with
the ethernet integrated into the motherboard.

  If you compile the e100 and try to "insmod" it, after removing
the eepro100 module, it reports a number of errors, but if you
just set up modules.conf to load it at boot-time, it works fine,
no errors.  My recollection is that the default e100 makefile
had some incorrect paths for my Debian rig, but they were obvious
and easy to fix.

  I am still hopeful that a properly open-source solution will
one day be available -- I got better performance (less frequent,
more minor errors) with the newer Scyld drivers, but still got
occasional lockups.

  Another solution, of course, is to drop back to a 2.12 kernel.

					-- A.