[eepro100] VESA causes "eth0: card reports no resources" ?!?!

Schofield,Joe joe.schofield@echostar.com
Thu, 2 Aug 2001 17:39:06 -0600

Greetings,

I have narrowed down the problems with "eth0: card reports no resources" to
the change I made to customize
the boot logo.

I had this problem with kernel 2.4.5smp and now have it with 2.4.3smp, but
only after turning on the following options and running a patchLogo.pl
script I found that changes the default penguin to some other logo.

Here are the options I turned on:
CONFIG_FB_VESA=y
CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT=y
CONFIG_FBCON_CFB8=y
CONFIG_FBCON_CFB16=y
CONFIG_FBCON_CFB24=y
CONFIG_FBCON_CFB32=y

The above may not be as correct as the following.  In make menuconfig I
turned on the following options:

Under Console drivers
VGA Text Console
Video mode selection support

Under Frame-buffer support
Support for frame buffer devices (EXPERIMENTAL)
VESA VGA graphics console

I do not subscribe to this list, so if you want me to try something or give
additional info, please copy your reply to joe.schofield@echostar.com

Also, if this causes someone to say, "Ah ha!" and fix the eepro100 driver,
please let me know, so I can patch mine too.

Joseph B. Schofield
Senior Engineer
Echostar Data Networks
(404) 978-8023