[eepro100] suspend problem with eepro100, intel 82557

Alain E. alwt@udcast.com
Mon, 02 Apr 2001 11:02:42 +0200 (CEST)

Hello Jan,
On 02-Apr-2001 Jan Just Keijser wrote:
> Alain E. wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm trying to use a Mini PCI intel 82557 adapter on a Dell Inspiron 4000.
>> It works correctly using linux 2.2.16, but after suspending the machine,
>> the interface hangs. Using rmmod, insmod doesn't help.
>>
>> I have updated my drivers using
>> ftp://ftp.scyld.com/pub/network/netdriver-2.1.src.rpm, and even tried kernel
>> 2.2.18 without success.
>
> grab mii-diag.c from the scyld website and try this:
>
>   rmmod eepro100
>   insmod eepro100 # any version
>   mii-diag -F 100BaseTx # force a mode
>   mii-diag -R # go back to auto-negotiate
>
> (# == comment)
> I had a similar problem with a non-laptop EEPro 100+ and could not get the
> device
> back up unless I followed the steps above.
>
> HTH,
>
> JJK

Thank you for your answer, but it doesn't work for me. I have the following
messages.

$ mii-diag -F 100BaseTx
Using the default interface 'eth0'.
Setting the speed to "fixed", Control register 2100.
Basic registers of MII PHY #31:  ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff.
  No MII transceiver present!.

$ mii-diag -R
Using the default interface 'eth0'.
Resetting the transceiver...
Basic registers of MII PHY #31:  ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff.
  No MII transceiver present!.

Using eepro100-diag -f -aa

eepro100-diag.c:v2.02 7/19/2000 Donald Becker (becker@scyld.com)
 http://www.scyld.com/diag/index.html
Index #1: Found a Intel i82557 (or i82558) EtherExpressPro100B adapter at 0xdcc0
i82557 chip registers at 0xdcc0:
  ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff
  Interrupt sources are pending.
   The transmit unit state is 'Unknown'.
   The receive unit state is 'Broken-15'.
  This status is unusual for an activated interface.
 The Command register has an unprocessed command ffff(?!).

Using eepro100-diag -f -e

Index #1: Found a Intel i82557 (or i82558) EtherExpressPro100B adapter at 0xdcc0
Intel EtherExpress Pro 10/100 EEPROM contents:
  Station address FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF.
  Board assembly ffffff-255, Physical connectors present: RJ45 BNC AUI MII
  Primary interface chip i82555 PHY #-1.
    Secondary interface chip i82555, PHY -1.

Any Idea ?