[eepro100] Re: eepro 82557 rev b: can't fill rx buffer

Andrey Savochkin saw@saw.sw.com.sg
Mon, 23 Oct 2000 18:45:07 +0800

On Sat, Oct 21, 2000 at 04:48:52AM +0200, Magnus Naeslundb" wrote:
> This server has been working darn fine, but now we are getting alotta load
> on the system, sometimes upto 30-40 in load.
> I've seen some strange messages.
> I get this message just before the server locks solid:
>
> Oct 21 04:13:32 gimme kernel: eth0: can't fill rx buffer (force 1)!
>
> What can i do?

It means that memory allocation fails and some incoming packets are dropped.
Try to play with /proc/sys/vm/freepages (if it works for your particular
kernel version).
The problem is that the driver doesn't recover after that when the memory
becomes available back.
What driver version do you use?

> Does intel supply a Linux driver for this card?
> Is it good?
>
> I hate when stuff locks up solid! :)

Certainly you do :-)

Best regards