[eepro100] [Req. Help] Can "ping" within LAN, but can't do ...

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Wed, 15 Nov 2000 08:51:28 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 15 Nov 2000, [ks_c_5601-1987] Â÷ÇöÁØ wrote:

> I used 82559ER for our custom Linux board project.
> It is PC architecture which equipped Pentium III and 443BX chipsets.
> Kernel boots fine and everything works well, but really weird thing happens on the ethernet.
> The symptoms are as below.
>
> -----------------------
> 1. I can ping any host within my LAN segment but can't do router and
> outside of LAN. - Which means ICMP packet didn't returns -

If you can ping without packet loss the problem is almost certainly with
routing, not with the driver.  You likely have a NAT router that doesn't
forward ICMP echo packets.

> 2. I can't telnet to any host and browse any web server.

Routing problem..

> 3. I captured packets with ethereal and I can see the board sent Telnet
> SYN packet and the telnet server sent Telnet SYN, ACK packet but the board
> can't receive it.

What was the driver detection message?
What are the statistics from /proc/net/dev?

> [root@siwon diags]# ./eepro100-diag -aa -f
> eepro100-diag.c:v2.02 7/19/2000 Donald Becker (becker@scyld.com)
>  http://www.scyld.com/diag/index.html
> Index #1: Found a Intel 82559ER EtherExpressPro/100+ adapter at 0xf400.
>   This status is normal for an activated but idle interface.

Normal..

> [root@siwon diags]# ./mii-diag -v
>  MII PHY #31 transceiver registers:
>    0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000

Bogus values.
What does the detection message report?  What does 'eepro100-diag -m' report?

> What's wrong with MII registers? How can I set or fix these registers?

There is nothing to set.  The transceiver wasn't detected.  Since the
transceiver is on the same chip, it's difficult to guess what is going wrong.

> The driver version is 1.11 from http://www.scyld.com and the board is
> equipped with custom OEM bios.

Anything unusual about the BIOS? Perhaps the chip is in D1 or D2 PCI power
state?