82558 aparantly locking up - how to diagnose?

Scott Tyson tysons@deepwell.com
Tue May 9 12:27:36 2000

I'm pretty much a lurker on this list but from what I've seen flying
about in the past 2 years and from my own humble experiences I'd give
Andrey's version of the driver a whirl over Intel's.  It comes with the latest
kernel 2.2.15 or the 2.3.x versions.  I also compiled it on 2.2.14
without any problems.   The Intel Cards definaitly can do funky things when they get loaded.
I never had any issues using the stock kernel drivers myself but I never really
loaded my server down. My server was a small FTP/HTTP and a Quake2/3 server.  I know Andrey's version attacks
the high load timeouts for sure but He can speak to that himself.  I belevie Donald has a new version of the driver as well over at the
scyld.com.  I do not know the differences between Donald's and Andrey's drivers.
My own thoughts is that Since Donald is the God of Netowrk Drivers for
Linux and Andrey's changes to that driver are now part of the kernel
source, I'd trust them more than Intel to create a quality driver.
Intel is just too new to Linux drivers.  I hope that over time thier
driver would become the defacto standard but it will have to prove
itself in the real world first.

Good Luck,
Scott