What settings for a large load?

Andrey Savochkin saw@saw.sw.com.sg
Fri May 5 03:15:58 2000

Hello,

On Thu, May 04, 2000 at 09:35:04PM -0700, Kevin Mills wrote:
> I'm using the eepro100 with Linux 2.2.14 on a dual PIII 500 server with 512
> MB of RAM.  This machine's soul purpose is to run a SOCKS server and needs
> the highest throughput and lowest latency possible.  I have a SOCKS client
> simulator that simulates 600 very hyperactive users sending and receiving
> packets ranging in size from 60 to 1514 bytes.
>
> What I see with the driver's default settings is a *lot* of dropped
> connections (ECONNRESET, ESHUTDOWN, ECONNREFUSED) and timeouts (ETIMEDOUT).
> Increasing the transmit and receive ring sizes and the transmit and receive
> FIFO thresholds helps, but I still see plenty of errors.
>
> For comparison, I ran my client simulator against a Sun Netra t1-105 (single
> UltraSparc-IIi 440) with its built-in NICs using the same SOCKS server code
> and I received NO errors.
>
> What settings should I use to get the best performance?

I doubt that it's a driver problem.
Check more careful what happens on other layers of the system.
Doesn't the kernel consider your traffic as a SYN-flood attack?
Check by tcpdump why connections are reset.  If really the client sends RST
packet?
Check you client, too.  Doesn't it do some insane things?
E.g. does it really calls connect(), sends/receives the data and closes the
connection?  Or works just on packet level, thus, likely, disabling flow
control etc?

Your situation isn't a matter of settings.  It a problem somewhere.

Best regards
					Andrey V.
					Savochkin