Intel PRO/100 Cardbus II with 82559 chip

Jeff Garzik jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com
Tue Mar 28 16:42:17 2000

Donald Becker wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Mar 2000, David Hinds wrote:
> > On Sun, Mar 26, 2000 at 11:51:42PM -0700, John Matthews wrote:
> > > Donald Becker's Web page says that his driver supports cardbus but I
> > > can't find any directions on how to install it for cardbus.
> >
> > I would not hold my breath waiting for a response; Donald stopped
> > supporting his drivers about six months ago.
>
> The reasons for this have been well covered in other forums.
> See the latest Linux Weekly News for a summary that attempts to be
> unbiased.  Despite the recent exchange, triggered by the imminent release of
> 2.4, the trouble occurred about six months ago.  My latest internal version
> of eepro100.c is dated 1/21/2000, but those updates are unlikely to ever
> make it to the driver distributed with the kernel.

Andrey is actively tracking your eepro100 driver AFAIK.  He even
reverted some of my changes (w/ my approval) in order to make diffing
against your driver an easier task.

And I've said publicly before:  send patches!  They will make it into
the kernel.  There are no hoops to jump through, no forms to sign.  Just
send a patch ;-)  We WANT to merge your updates into the kernel.

Tulip and rtl8139 aside, I've been trying to keep diffs between the
kernel and your drivers as small as possible, within the constraints of
using the new kernel interfaces.  It makes feeding bug fixes back to you
easier, as well as isolating problems between driver versions.

Regards,

	Jeff

--
Jeff Garzik              | Tact is the ability to tell a man
Building 1024            | he has an open mind when he has a