eepro100: can't use tcpdump/promiscuous mode

Ron Fowler rfowler@idcnet.com
Tue Mar 7 01:02:13 2000

Hello, list gurus!

I'm in the process of upgrading all our Linux servers to 100MB operation
and Redhat Linux 6.1.  The NIC I've selected is the Intel EtherExpress
Pro 100, which is nicely supported by Redhat "out of the box".

I've deployed about four of these in the last week or two, and a couple
of days ago, I had to use one of them for a common task on our network:
running tcpdump to trace packets when our dialup users have trouble
with connectivity.  After a period of tearing my hair out when I couldn't
see any traffic, it dawned on me (and a quick check with ifconfig confirmed)
that the NIC wasn't going into promiscuous mode!  I checked all four
servers configured with the eepro driver, and saw the same problem.

The systems in question range from a Pentium P150 from 1997 to a P2-450
initially deployed with a 10 MB card last June.  All have the same problem.
And yet my 10MB NE2000-compatibles (Redhat 5.2) work fine.

I've searched the beowulf eepro100 archives as well as Deja's Usenet
archive, and can't locate a single report of this problem.  So I'm
wondering if I'm either missing something obvious or expecting something
the EtherExpress Pro can't do.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me ...

Ron Fowler (rfowler@idcnet.com)
System Administrator, Internet Dynamics Corp.
120 North Fraternity Lane
Whitewater, WI 53190