I need more comments/suggestions -- Re: Intel Pro 100+ Dual Port Server Adapter

Daniel Senie dts@senie.com
Thu Mar 2 16:41:52 2000

Bryan -TheBS- Smith wrote:

> On Thu, 02 Mar 2000, Jerry Glomph Black wrote:
> > The dual-Intel card we have has the 82557.
>
> I've never had a problem with the i82557 (used many), nor the
> i82559 (but only have 2 in use).  But this was my first i82558.
> Bad things man, bad things!

The present dual cards shipping from Intel have 82558 chips.

> > As I said before, indistinguishable from 2 separate cards
>
> Figured as such.  Just wondering how you are using them?
>
> -- TheBS
>
> P.S.  Does it have a PCI-PCI bridge?  I assume not because they
> seem to be on the same PCI bus:
> >   Bus  2, device   5, function  0:
> >   Bus  2, device   4, function  0:

The card DOES have a PCI-PCI bridge, 21xxx series chip.

The just-released Linux driver available on the Intel website works very
well with these cards and others. Folks trying to figure out how to talk
to these chips will probably find your answers in the source code Intel
released.