[eepro100] Re: [vortex] True on TRANSMIT ERROR TIMEOUT

Scott M. Stone sstone@taos.com
Mon, 19 Jun 2000 11:25:18 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 19 Jun 2000, Donald Becker wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Jun 2000, Daniel Soto Alvarez wrote:
>
> > >I'd recommend AGAINST using switches. The unfortunate, and frustrating
> > >reality is the many Ethernet NICS do NOT work well with switches when the
> > >NIC is set to something OTHER than autonegotiation (like, set to
> > >100BASE/half-duplex). Intel has acknowledged that they can replicate this
> > >problem and so far, have some rational hypothesis for why it happens.
> >
> > Please, You think is possible to make eepro100 NIC driver forced to
> > 100MB/HD?

I've found that the best policy with switches (assuming you have control
of the switch) is to start out with all the ports on autonegotiate, and
then find the ones that are negotiating incorrectly.  Then force THOSE
ports but leave the others alone...

Scott M. Stone, CCNA <sstone@taos.com>
UNIX Systems and Network Engineer
Taos - The SysAdmin Company