[eepro100] card reports no resources / RX buffers

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Mon, 24 Jul 2000 16:12:10 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 24 Jul 2000, Krawl, Roeland wrote:

> If the "No resources" and "No Rx buffers" messages occur occasionally during
> driver initialization (even when no network cable is attached) then that is
> the symptom that I reported to this mail list and Andrey in March 2000.
> Donald Becker did not respond to any of the emails sent to him.

> The driver is using a SCB status mask of 0xFC00. The Linux driver from Intel
> (recently released) correctly uses a status mask of  0xF300. The status mask
> of 0xFC00 prevents the driver from acknowledging the flow control and early
> receive interrupts in the 82559 chip.

This has been responded to several time: the documentation I have indicates
that 0xF300 is not a correct mask for the way we are using the chip.

Perhaps the 'ER' has some special firmware -- I don't have a sample to test
with.  The v1.09t driver was the first to detect the 'ER' chip, and there
was no production implementation at the time.

> The following is a summary of the symptom and fix that was posted to this
> list in March 2000.

The v1.10 driver was current as of March 2000, and the v1.11 driver is
currently available.  You are referencing the older v1.09t driver, which was
from 9/29/99.

There was problem with flow control, but it wasn't a driver bug. The i82559
chip fails to disable flow control on half duplex links, and can spew flow
control frames when the machine is shut down.  The v1.10 driver works around
this chip/documentation bug by handling the autonegotation settings itself
instead of relying on the chip's firmware.

410 Severn Ave. Suite 210		Beowulf Clusters / Linux Installations
Annapolis MD 21403