[eepro100] Endian Question

Naga R Narayanaswamy nraju@erols.com
Wed, 12 Jul 2000 22:24:00 -0400

Hello Everyone,

This is a general question on the 82559 chip.

I want to know if one can change the endian operating mode in 82559
chip.
For e.g., in 21143, through CSR0 (Bus Mode Register), descriptor byte
ordering mode can be changed.  When the bit DBO is set, 21143 operates
in big endian byte ordering mode. Also by setting BLE the data buffer
is affected.
Is it possible to do the same in 82559. I want to be able to set the
82559
to operate in big endian format. My understanding is
Intel chips are little endian and PCI bus operates in little endian.

Thanks in advance!
-Naga
nraju@erols.com