[eepro100] mii-diag program - slight inaccuracy

John Cagle linuxguy@houston.rr.com
Wed, 05 Jul 2000 16:52:58 -0500

I've recently been using Donald's mii-diag program and I've come across
something that's not quite accurate.

With my NIC & Switch combination, the BMSR register has a "1" in the bit
position for "Link Jabber" (bmsr & 0x0002).  This causes the mii-diag
program to print out "*** Link Jabber! ***".

However, according to the National DP83840A specification, the Link
Jabber bit only has meaning in 10 Mb/s mode.  I'm running at 100 Mb/s,
so this bit should be ignored.

It's not a big deal, but I thought I would explain it to the list in
case someone else comes across this error message.

Regards,
John Cagle
Compaq ProLiant Linux Team