AW: Some comments...

Andreas Vierengel andreas@vierengel.de
Thu Jan 13 12:54:26 2000

Chris Zwilling wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Jan 2000, Stauffer, Walter (Exchange) wrote:
>

> > Am I the only person on earth having the following problem with
> > i82558B NIC's ?
> >
> >  - put a box on the net which waits for requests (i.e. a server)
> >
> >  - send a request (connect to FTP, WWW, even Ping)
> >
> > -> 50% of the NIC's stop responding after some time !
>
> We have a router with Intel i82555s - so I don't know how much this will
> apply to the conversation.  When the driver inits the card, I do see the
> warning: "Receiver lock-up bug exists -- enabling work-around."  That
> hasn't seem to have been a problem yet...
>
> The big problem that I did have with these cards is that they did not
> auto-negotiate correctly with the 3Com switch that I am using.  One of the
> ports on the switch was set to 100Mib HD, the Intel was trying to speak at
> 100Mib FD.  So I would see dropped packets and poor performance.  Once I
> set up the 3Com switch to auto-negotiatie, everything went back to normal.

auto-negotiation suckz ( sometimes :-)
set options for the driver:
my /etc/conf.modules looks like:

alias eth0 eepro100
options eth0 options=0x30

the options value could be a combination of:

 Hex   Decimal  Meaning
 0x10  16       Force Full-Duplex operation (must be used with 0x20 or 0x40)
 0x20  32       Force 100mbps-only operation
 0x40  64       Force 10mbps-only

--Andy