eth0 errors reported on boot after improper shutdown

Jeremy Domingue jer@cybersurfers.net
Tue Apr 18 14:53:08 2000

Thanks to everyone who replied..... someone suggested that I try an Intel
driver (which I had no idea even existed) to see if that worked a little
better. I loaded the Intel driver and the problem seems to have cleared up.
It's unclear to me whether or not this has reset something in the card to
make it work with eepro100 again, but for now I'm not going to go back and
try it... I will probably try it again when the new kernel (2.2.15) is
released to see if it will start working with eepro100 again.

Again, thanks for all the help.

Jeremy Domingue
Cybersurfers
jer@cybersurfers.net

----- Original Message -----
From: "Donald Becker" <becker@scyld.com>
To: "Jeremy Domingue" <jer@cybersurfers.net>
Cc: <linux-eepro100@beowulf.gsfc.nasa.gov>
Sent: Tuesday, April 18, 2000 11:52 AM
Subject: Re: eth0 errors reported on boot after improper shutdown

On Tue, 18 Apr 2000, Jeremy Domingue wrote:

> Well, I have a very interesting problem that I'm hoping someone might be
> able to give me some insight on. Let me start at the beginning..... we had
> Apr 17 21:04:35 hawk kernel: eepro100.c:v1.09j-t 9/29/99 Donald Becker
> http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/eepro100.html
> Apr 17 21:04:35 hawk kernel: eepro100.c: $Revision: 1.18 $ 1999/12/29
> Modified by Andrey V. Savochkin <saw@msu.ru>
> Apr 17 21:04:35 hawk kernel: eth0: card reports no RX buffers.
> Apr 17 21:04:35 hawk kernel: eth0: card reports no resources.

Those are new messages in Andrey's branch.  It's not clear what the problem
is here.

You might try version 1.10a in the "netdriver" SRPM at
  ftp://www.scyld.com/pub/network/

A recent change has been the addition of a fall-back polling mode.  This
isn't intended as a regular operating mode, only as a way to emit an
understandable message and get a little network traffic throght when the
APIC code fails to configure a working IRQ setting.

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Scyld Computing Corporation
410 Severn Ave. Suite 210
Annapolis MD 21403