Determining device names

Gerhard Sittig Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net
Tue Apr 11 22:19:52 2000

On Tue, Apr 11, 2000 at 11:43 -0600, Orion Poplawski wrote:
> Pardon the newbie question.  I have have three Intel eepro100
> interfaces in a machine.  How do I determine/control which will
> be eth0, eth1 and eth2?

PCI slots are counted in a manner which should be discribed in
your mobo's manual.  The driver should find (and number) these
cards in the very same order.  "cat /proc/pci" ls "lspci" should
show you io values according to the PCI slots, as well.

Simple approach:  Do the usual ifconfig(8) / route(8) / ping(8)
sequence and watch the lights on the cards' ends. :)

virtually yours   82D1 9B9C 01DC 4FB4 D7B4  61BE 3F49 4F77 72DE DA76
Gerhard Sittig   true | mail -s "get gpg key" Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net