Er, from what perspective? -- Re: eepro 100 falling asleep?

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Sun Apr 9 22:39:29 2000

On Sun, 9 Apr 2000, Hannu Krosing wrote:

> Bryan -TheBS- Smith wrote:
> > Er, from what perspective? -- Re: eepro 100 falling asleep?
> > On Fri, 07 Apr 2000, Patrick Wagstrom wrote:
> > > Do the eepro100 cards have a sleep feature on them?  I'm curious
> > > because I've observed odd behavior with our servers here is the
> > > situation.
> > >
> > > When our servers are getting relatively low amounts of traffic or none
> > > at all for a period of several minutes, they will be inordanately slow
> > > to respond to the first few pings, if it all.  After a few more seconds
> > > they come alive and work fine.
> >
> > Did you ping the DNS name or the IP address?
>
> I don't know what he did, but I have had cases where I _have_ to do an
> outward ping before eepro100 starts doing anything.
> Pinging it from outside does not wake it up.
>
> I've had similar behaviour on at least two different computers with
> eepro

Given that there have been reports from other card types (see the vortex
list), I'm guessing that this either a BIOS power management setting or a
kernel problem.

There is no long-term timer on the driver that would change its behavior.
The media polling occurs on 3 second or 60 second intervals, depending the
driver.
For the eepro100 only, if there hasn't been receive traffic for a few
seconds we reinitialize the Rx filter.  This is to recover from a very rare
Rx lockup that is documented to only happens with certain older transceivers
in 10Mbps mode.  I doubt that you are seeing this issue.

Donald Becker
Scyld Computing Corporation, becker@scyld.com