IGEL.

Donald Becker becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov
Fri Oct 29 11:48:06 1999

On Thu, 28 Oct 1999, Jonathan Nicholson wrote:

> They have a Intel 82557 PCI ethernet adaptor on board.
..
> Looking at the device stats from /proc/net/dev there are a lot of
> collisions (>1000) which I would not expect as the device is in a switch
> port.

You have a duplex mismatch.  Set the switch to autonegotiate the connection,
rather than forcing the duplex.

If the switch is old and cannot autonegotiate I recommend setting the switch
to half duplex mode.  It's possible to force the eepro100 driver to full
duplex, but you are just setting yourself up for a repeat of this problem.

Donald Becker
Scyld Computing Corporation, and
USRA-CESDIS,   becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov