Dual Processor with Etherexpress/Pro 100B

Josh Pollak jbp4@cornell.edu
Mon Mar 1 16:48:12 1999

Hi,

	I'm having an interesting problem with my Intel Etherexpress 10/100B card.
I have a dual processor (P2-300) motherboard, which is a Tyan Tiger 2DL,
and I just installed RedHat 5.1. My ethernet was working sporadically,
sometimes connecting to the DHCP server, sometimes not.
	Then I recompiled my kernel to add SMP support, and ethernet died
completely. I've tried building the driver as a module and straight into
the kernel, and either way the driver seems to work correctly. Currently it
is in the kernel, and when I perform a dmesg, I see the driver startup,
detect the card, and load properly. No error messages are reported.
	However, dhcpcd reports Failed! on boot, and if I type ifconfig, only the
local loopback is detected. If I type ifconfig eth0 128.253.0.1 netmask
255.255.0.0 up to test it out, the ethercard becomes listed, but then when
I try to force dhcpcd to run again, it dissappears. If I perform dhcpcd -d
I get the error message:

	ioctl: SIOCSIFBRDADRR (ifConfig) Cannot assign requested address

	I haven't changed any config files since I recompiled the kernel the first
time. (Well, I did, but I've changed them all back). In addition, I have
noticed a few other eepro100 / SMP machine problems on the mailing list
archives, most notably Dr Nikica Petrinic's thread from September 98. That
thread didn't solve the problem, so I was wondering if this is a very
esoteric configuration problem, or if there is an SMP thread issue in the
driver? Thank you for any help or additional information! I haven't posted
any output logs because they have been extremely non-descript to me so far
(No error messages, etc)

 -Josh Pollak

                        *** jbp4@cornell.edu ** 607.256.1230 ***
          ICQ: 3053699 ** 410 Stewart Ave, Ithaca New York, 14850 **