82558 lock-up bug, even worse ?

Stauffer, Walter w.stauffer@galenica.ch
Wed Dec 8 15:14:09 1999

> I am assuming that these are embedded (into the MB) ethernet
controllers...
> (Intel EtherExpress Pro100B's  perhaps ?)

Yes, they are all-on-the-board machines, manufacturer FIC (First
International
Computers), Model "Sahara 2000", NIC is on-board i82558 aka EEPro100.
A very nice little machine fitting our need perfectly (if it works).

> [...]
> Assuming that your IP/Netmask/etc was done properly...

This is OK - 4 other machines of the same type with the same installation
(each one with its IP address of course) are working nicely.

> [...]
> (or Disable in BIOS) the existing NIC... Install the new module (or
rebuild)

Unfortunately I don't see an option to disable the on-board NIC (AMI BIOS).

> Theres my experience rate with intel nics 10-25% (3 out of 30) are
problem...

This seems a lot to me. Are these replaced (by Intel or the board manu-
facturer) ?

Guess I should have been warned when I saw the Linux driver's message
"... lock-up workaround enabled" on the first machine I purchased and did
the prototype on (it worked perfectly and still does - of the more recent
ones
I have 50% with a problem).

Thanks for your thoughts and best regards,
Walter