Transmit timeouts with 1.06/1.09j

Donald Becker becker@cesdis1.gsfc.nasa.gov
Mon Aug 9 20:44:52 1999

On Mon, 9 Aug 1999, David Sean Friedman wrote:

> Excerpts from eepro: 9-Aug-99 Transmit timeouts with 1.06.. by Kerrin
> Pine@chariot.net.
> > The problem is that under heavy load, Ethernet stops working. These
> > messages are displayed on the console and also in /var/log/messages:
>
> I have been doing some work with the eepro100 on the ARM, and I see the
> same behavior under heavy load.

Most (all?) ARM implementations don't have cache coherence with PCI cards.
That means that the descriptors might not be coherent when read by the card.

> All of the tests have used v1.06 with a 2.2.10 kernel.

Try the newer testing version, which should recover better from problems.
  ftp://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/linux/drivers/test/eepro100.c

Donald Becker					  becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov
Code 930.5, Goddard Space Flight Center,  Greenbelt, MD.  20771
301-286-0882	     http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/people/becker/whoiam.html