Onboard ethernet ( i82558 ) on Asus SMP P2B-D2 motherboard hang after ~15 packets

Le Dinh Bach s940195@student.ulg.ac.be
Fri Apr 23 16:15:03 1999

Hi,

I'm experiencing problems with a i82558 based ethernet adapter :
After sending few packets, it simply stop receiving. ( with tcpdump on
another
computer on the same network, I still see arp queries coming ).

I traced the problem down to a message like :
"eth1: Media Control Tick, status 0000." when NIC is hang. Status is
0050 when
working. Could anyone tell me what these values are meaning or does
anyone
already encountered the same problem with Intel EEPro100 driver ? ( I
use
the 1.06 with kernel 2.2.6 ).

The SMP board is a Asus P2B-D2 ( with I2O i960 controller, LAN & AIC7890
onboard )
running with 2 P2-400. The primary NIC is an Intel EEPro100+ running
without any problem with the same driver (eepro100.c v1.06). The second
one
(which is the onboard one) is a i82558 based card ( new release of Intel
EEPro100+ ).
The kernel is a"out-of-the-tar.bz2" archive one.
MPS is set to 1.4.

The server has run NT with both cards working flawlessly ( nearly at
least ;) ).

Thanx,

Raffaele.