"Transmit timed out" with EtherExpress Pro100B

Osma Ahvenlampi oa@spray.fi
Wed Oct 7 13:51:05 1998

Donald Becker <becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov> writes:
> > -static int multicast_filter_limit = 64;
> > +static int multicast_filter_limit = 0;
> You can change this value when loading the module:
>    options eepro100 multicast_filter_limit=0

I thought it didn't work with kernel 2.0.x, but apparently it does..

> > Try it, and see what happens. I think it multicast_filter_limit might
> > be safely set to 3 before problems start appearing, but I'm not
> > certain about it. I think I'll try it out now. Will find out if it
> > works in an hour at max..
> That would be useful data.

I can't tell you for sure that it corrects the problem, but I can tell
you it helps a lot. The machine has now been running for 6 hours with
the filter limit at 3, and hasn't trashed the network like it did with
the default value. I can try to run any test programs if someone has
one that demonstrates the problem as long as it doesn't require
installing a huge pile of stuff I don't already have on the machine..

Let me know if you'd like to know something else about the system.

--
A truly wise man never plays leapfrog with a Unicorn.
Osma Ahvenlampi <oa@spray.fi>