"Transmit timed out" with EtherExpress Pro100B

James Stevens James.Stevens@jrcs.co.uk
Tue Oct 6 12:57:10 1998

Robert G. Brown wrote:

> A few questions (I don't remember your original posting):
>
>   a) Are your systems SMP or UP?  Fast (e.g. PPro or PII)?

Single CPU. Linux 2.0.34, on a MedixGX chipset, this is a "pentium
system on a chip" type silicon. i.e. it has all the CPU, cache, USB,
T.V., video, sound, chipset (PCI, EIDE, Floppy), 2xserial, parallel, LCD
interface, mouse, KBD etc on the single chip which makes for a VERY
small box (500 sheets of A4 paper type size, which includes internal
power, 3.5 Hdd & floppy !!). It is REALLY CUTE, we pay $250 and just
have to add ram & hdd.

>   b) Is your 10Mbps interconnect crossover wire or hub or switch?

Cheap D-Link 8 port Hub, so switching, no full-duplex etc. But the same
hub works fine with a different box which also has the Intel chip on
board but is a proper (custom) mainboard with Intel chipset and Celery
266. Up till we got the 2nd box I thought the problem was the 10Mbps,
but not anymore. Now I think it is the CPU not servicing the EEPro fast
enough.

I have not tried this box on cross over, it will be worth a try.

> The curious thing is that your card works for a while and then fails,

No. It runs fine under virtually no load, but fails quite quickly even
under light / medium load and within 3 seconds under heavy load.

It is another box altogether that works fine.

> Have you ruled out bad silicon?

No, good point. We do have two of these little boxes, so I could try the
other one. But I know Doug Karl who make the freeware & commercial
KarlBridge (firewall / Brouter), and he said he had BIG problems with
the Intel in this box, but could not tell me about it because of an
Intel NDA.

> Are you overclocking?

No chance. It is not possable with the MediaGX in the box we have.

> Could the net adapter be failing because of excessive heat in the cases?

I don't think so. It runs surprisingly cool for such a small box.

James